WMS cascading in latest GeoServer
One of the new exciting features in the GeoServer 2.1 series is WMS cascading.
- Clients connecting to your SDI need to care about less points of origin, which might be important for high security networks
- It is now possible to ask for maps in formats not supported by the original server, or to reproject the maps in projections not supported by the original server (GeoServer supports out of the box almost 5000 different coordinate reference systems)
- It is now possible to mix the layers with local ones to generate print oriented formats such as PDF
- It is now possible to provide more informations about the layer, such as a better description, more keywords, which will benefit all clients, in particular catalogs harvesting informations from your capabilites document
There is still a number of things that can be done vs cascading:
- Support for secured remote servers
- Support for vendor parameters in cascading, including custom styling
- Better networking support, with HTTP 1.1 persistent connections, limitations on the number of parallel requests to the cascaded server, and configurable timeouts
- Support for choosing the cascading format (right now PNG is used)
- Support for GetFeatureInfo cascading on servers that do not provide GML output (if the GML GetFeatureInfo output is there full cascading is already in place and working!)
- Cascading WMS 1.3 servers
- Auto configuration of the layers exposed by a remote server, so that new layers are automatically exposed by GeoServer without any manual intervention
the GeoSolutions team.